Monday, February 1, 2010

In home school, I used limited technology. I took Life Science, Biology, Algebra I and II, and Geometry through video classes on the television. For Spanish, 3 years of Chinese, Chemistry, and Anatomy, I used computer programs. I didn't know how to have email or do anything on a computer. All I knew was how to get onto these programs to read and answer questions. Even for writing reports, my Mom let me hand-write it. So when I got to college, I had a lot to learn about typing, emailing, researching, and knowing the ins and outs of computers. That was three years ago, and I still feel like I am learning! I got my laptop a year ago... that forced me to learn a lot more! For instance, just yesterday, I figured out how to get a side bar on my desktop so I could see what the temperature is outside! I was beyond excited! I didn't even have to call my brother for help! So instead, I called to tell him that I successfully did something having to do with technology without him! He was pretty proud of me. He is used to me calling him at all hours throughout the day (even when he is at work on the Navy base or pulling cars over as a cop!) with random questions of how to do something on a computer, advice, or homework that I can't figure out... He is smart- he always knows the answer to everything!!! :-)

So as I integrate technology with my teaching, I anticipate coming to him for more help... although I may not need him for that after this Technology In Education class! Won't he be so happy?!?! I know that public schools have laptops for the students, but I don't like that... maybe I'll find some little private Christian school without all those resources... I know there is a plethora of knowledge gained from using technology like laptops, but I still don't think it's necessary! I should have been born in the 1800's...

No comments:

Post a Comment